The Austrian Fulbright program in a global context
Austria is one of the 51 countries worldwide in which the program is managed by an autonomous and binational Fulbright commission. The Republic of Austria and the United States of America concluded a bilateral agreement in 1950 that established the U.S. Educational Commission in Vienna, and the first Austrian-American exchanges under the auspices of the Fulbright Program took place during the 1951-52 academic year. After the Fulbright-Hays Act was passed in 1961, the Austrian and U.S. governments concluded a new Fulbright Agreement that established the Austrian-American Educational Commission (AAEC) in 1963.
The Fulbright Program currently facilitates the exchange of students and scholars between the United States and 155 countries. Since its inception in 1946, over 300,000 students, teachers, and scholars have participated in the Fulbright Program; over 2,000 U.S. citizens and 3,300 Austrian citizens are alumni of the Austrian-American program. Approximately 7,000 Fulbright grants are awarded annually on a global basis. Between 70 and 80 of these awards are managed by the Austrian-American Educational Commission.