FULBRIGHT INTERCOUNTRY LECTURE PROGRAM
The Intercountry Lecture Program allows Austrian institutions to invite U.S. Fulbright scholars who are currently on a Fulbright grant elsewhere in Europe for a guest lecture. The Intercountry Travel Grant funded by Fulbright Austria covers the invited scholar's travel expenses from their current host city in Europe to the host city in Austria. The Austrian institution is expected to cover their guest's room and board.
In order to apply for an Intercountry travel grant, Austrian institutions should follow the following steps:
1. Contact the U.S. Scholar you would like to invite to Austria. If you don't have a specific Fulbright scholar in mind, you can consult the list of U.S. Fulbright scholars currently in Europe (2017-18). You can search this list by academic discipline and specialization.
2. After you have come to an agreement on the details of the visit with the Fulbright scholar, please send an e-mail to Dr. Susanne Hamscha, the responsible Program Officer at Fulbright Austria, with the following information:
- dates of the visit
- title(s) of the lecture(s)
- confirmation that the host institution will cover room and board
- calculation of the expected travel costs
3. If Fulbright Austria approves the request, we will officially invite the Fulbright scholar and contact his or her local Fulbright Commission. If the local Fulbright Commission supports the invitation, the scholar can book his or her trip and will later be reimbursed for his or her expenses by Fulbright Austria.
- Fulbright Austria will reimburse Fulbright scholars from countries bordering on Austria for the costs of round-trip rail travel (second class). If Fulbright scholars are not from adjoining countries or if rail travel substantially exceeds five hours one way, Fulbright Austria will consider covering the costs of the most reasonable flight available combined with round-trip rail travel within Austria (second class), if applicable
- Generally, Fulbright Austria also reimburses participants in this program for the costs of local transportation to and from train stations/airports in the participant's country of origin and in Austria, if conventional public modes of transportation are taken and corresponding receipts are submitted.
- Please submit your request to Fulbright Austria before making travel arrangements, as Fulbright Austria's approval of Intercountry requests is contingent upon the budget for the Intercountry Lecture Program.
- Please submit your request to Fulbright Austria via e-mail at least 6 week prior to the planned event.