Fulbright Austria > Going to the USA > Teaching Assistants > About


Generally speaking FLTAs assist their host institutions in the instruction of German for 20 hours per week. FLTA duties vary widely based on the specific needs of individual institutions – some FLTAs are expected to teach language courses on their own with minimal in-class supervision, while others may be much more involved in extracurricular support of established language programs such as leading conversation groups, participating in community events or lectures, working in language laboratories, or contributing to language materials development. Some FLTAs live on campus, together with their students in the international languages house and participate actively in the campus community. The idea of the program is to have a native speaker on campus as a linguistic and cultural resource inside and outside the classroom. Many institutions are looking for young, lively and energetic native speakers of German that spark their student’s excitement for language learning and international travel.

Every FLTAs package is tailor-made and the roles vary slightly based on the needs of the host institution. The following benefits are included in every FLTAs package:

 Support of Fulbright Austria and the Institute of International Education (IIE) in New York before your departure to the US and throughout your stay

  • Pre-departure orientation sessions in Austria and
  • Orientation seminars as well as enrichment seminars in the US
  • Being part of a larger community of Fulbrighters in Austria and the US
  • Room, board, tuition re-mission for two courses per semester on a credit or audit basis as well as a small stipend from the host institution
  • A travel grant of 800 Euros
  • Fulbright Austria ensures that all FLTAs receive roughly the same financial package based on the offers specific host institutions make
  • ASPE Health and Accident Insurance for the duration of the grant
  • Visa sponsorship of a J-1 visa[2]

In the past the following institutions have always had an FLTA from Austria and are among our long-standing partners:  LINK PLACEMENT

[2] FLTAs receive a J-1 visa that requires them to return to their country of origin (i.e.: Austria) for 2 years before they are eligible to apply for a work permit or green card. It is however, possible to return to the US as a tourist (for 90 days) or on a student visa.