Moving back to the USA was not the plan until early July after traveling for a bit and having friends and family come to visit me, and it is highly disappointing things didn’t go as planned. I was supposed to have people visit me during mid-March and for the upcoming Easter holidays, trips which were all canceled. If I could have made it work, I would have, but there were several factors that led me to make the decision to leave Austria and return to the United States.
I knew that our health insurance would not last as long as I’d anticipated, and with the abrupt canceling of our program (before they recently announced that we can still get paid for May), I was worried about having the finances to stay in Austria. Combined with not wanting to be almost completely isolated in my apartment in Carinthia and worries about how long this could go on for (some are now saying potentially several months), I thought the best decision for my mental health and my particular financial situation was to return to the USA and to be with my family while trying to search for my next job.