This grant consists of a flexible combination of teaching, advising students, and collaborative research that entails teaching two courses (classes meet once a week for 90 minutes).
The format, content and level of the individual courses (advanced undergraduate and graduate) and research foci are negotiated on a consensual basis with the host institution, contingent upon the grantee's interests and expertise. Furthermore, NAWI Graz highly appreciates if candidates conduct at least one extracurricular activity aiming to foster the students' networking skills (organizational support will be provided).
Scholars selected for this award can choose to:
- Advise and/or mentor students
- Assist in faculty, curriculum, and/or program development
- Conduct a professional and/or artistic project
- Conduct a research project designated by the host institution
- Conduct a research project of the applicant’s choosing
- Teach graduate and/or undergraduate courses designated by the host institution
- Teach graduate and/or undergraduate courses of the applicant’s choosing
Only applications in the following disciplines will be considered:
While this award is open to any project in the disciplines listed above, there is interest in scholars who are in these particular specialty areas. NAWI Graz covers 35 institutes at the Graz University of Technology and the University of Graz in the following five areas:
- Molecular biosciences, biotechnology, plant science
- Chemistry and chemical technologies
- Earth, space, and environmental science (ESES)
- Fundamental and applied mathematics
The NAWI Graz Visiting Professor in the Natural Sciences is located in Graz, Austria. It is a split-site award co-sponsored by the Graz University of Technology and the University of Graz within the framework of the universities' strategic cooperation, called NAWI Graz (Natural Sciences Graz).
Lectures are in English. Some knowledge of German is advantageous but not required.
- €5,000 per month (approx. $5,500; exchange rates may fluctuate)
- Travel and relocation allowance of €1,000 (approx. $1,100; exchange rates may fluctuate)