The Intercountry Lecture Program allows Austrian institutions to invite US Fulbright scholars who are currently on a Fulbright grant elsewhere in Europe for a guest lecture. The Intercountry travel grant funded by Fulbright Austria covers the invited scholar's travel expenses from their current host city in Europe to the host city in Austria. The Austrian institution is expected to cover their guest's room and board.
Intercountry Lecture Program
Application procedure for institutions
In order to apply for an intercountry travel grant, Austrian institutions should follow the following steps:
1. Contact the US scholar you would like to invite to Austria. If you don't have a specific Fulbright scholar in mind, you can consult the list of US Fulbright scholars in Europe, compiled by Fulbright Finland (click link, then scroll to point 1 under "How to Apply"). You can search this list by academic discipline and specialization.
2. After you have come to an agreement on the details of the visit with the Fulbright scholar, please send an email to scholar program officer at Fulbright Austria with the following information:
- dates of the visit
- title(s) of the lecture(s)
- confirmation that the host institution will cover room and board
- calculation of the expected travel costs
3. If Fulbright Austria approves the request, we will officially invite the Fulbright scholar and contact their local Fulbright commission. If the local Fulbright commission supports the invitation, the scholar can book their trip; Fulbright Austria will subsequently reimburse the scholar’s travel expenses.
Information for scholars
- Fulbright Austria reimburses Fulbright scholars from countries bordering on Austria for the costs of round-trip rail travel (second class). If Fulbright scholars are not from adjoining countries or if rail travel substantially exceeds five hours one way, Fulbright Austria will consider covering the costs of the most reasonable flight available combined with—if applicable—round-trip rail travel within Austria (second class).
- Generally, Fulbright Austria also reimburses participants in this program for the costs of local transportation to and from train stations/airports in the participant's country of origin and in Austria as long as conventional public modes of transportation are taken and corresponding receipts are submitted.
- Please submit your request to Fulbright Austria before making travel arrangements, as Fulbright Austria's approval of intercountry requests is contingent upon the budget for the Intercountry Lecture Program.
- Please submit your request to Fulbright Austria via email at least six weeks prior to the planned event.
Scholar Program Officer
Liaison for the Fulbright Specialist Program, Intercountry Lecture Program, and Fulbright Schuman Program
TEL. +43-1-236 7878 - 15